|Why Doctors Should Use Social Media|
A growing number of medical specialists are trying to use the social media. The acceptance and admiration are increasing day by day. In fact, the patients feel comfortable to see their physician using social media. This helps them to keep in touch with the physician at any time whenever they want.
Although medical professionals are free to take advantage of many professional and personal benefits which can be offered, it is important that they are aware of the possible risks also that can be involved.
Privacy of information
Social media creates lots of boundaries between the private and public life. Everyone knows that online information can easily be taken. One must be careful about;
· Social media sites are not responsible for your personal information. You must keep the confidentiality of your information.
· Your personal information can easily be accessed
· Once your information published online, it will not be easily removed. As it can move or distribute further.
· You are supposed to be in action with professionalism
· Try to avoid the requests for medical advice online
Reasons that physicians should use social media
There are a number of reasons that physicians should experience the social media;
Helps physicians to provide text
There are a number of articles, blogs, websites and others publish new health stories on social media. It is being the right hand for physicians to provide the text and meanings that patient would read and understand.
Online health information is not authentic; it can easily be medically inaccurate. It is critical for doctors to use social media to stand traditions maintained by inaccurate health information.
Helps to connect with the media
Experiencing the social media can offer physicians with the skills they need to connect with the normal media.
Always ready to hear the patient’s story
Social networking sites help the patients to express their concerns and frustrations about health care issues. Patients can easily be heard by patient’s feedback on the blog.
Things to remember
Following are some important things which must be considered when using EHR software;
· Be careful about sharing your personal information on social networking sites. Be careful about your professionalism
· Remember that anything mailed on a website may be distributed by others to a larger audience, whether planned by you or not.
· Dealings with former and current patients on personal websites are discouraged strictly. Physicians should only have online interaction with patients while discussing the medical treatments of patients and these communications should never occur on personal networking sites.
· If the patient’s meeting is online or face-to-face, physicians should always obey to the highest standards of the doctor/patient relationship.
The problems with policies of social media for physician
Following are some important problems with the policies for physicians.
Lacking of the user agreement
Some physicians remain uncertain about the need to maintain the difference between professional and personal content. For some, blurring lines between the two is part of the reason to use social media in the first place.
This can be harmful
Doctors are not supposed to avoid personal contact with patient’s offline. Particularly, in small or rural communities, such meetings can be inevitable, and they can even be beneficial for both patient and doctor.
Differentiating professional and personal identities are changeable with the concept of professional individuality. In other words, professional identify is determined to at least some point by personal identity.